Saturday, October 22, 2011

The ramblings and prayer of a cop's wife


Often I am asked how I do it. Be a cop's wife. Do I worry? Panic? Have fear or wait by the phone every night. And the truth is I turned all of that over to God when I married D. There are certain things I do NOT do... such as watch the local news or read the reports. If friends ask if I've seen an article about this or that related to the police, I say no. I do not hurry to read it. I trust D to tell me what I need to know to understand and appreciate his job. But so far I have chosen to not know it all.
In some ways this is avoidance, I guess. But truthfully I feel that I trust my husband to do his job and trust his confidence in his ability to do the job. I trust the Lord to be with and protect him and his partner. And to grant them the wisdom to respond appropriately to what comes before them on the job.
Today is D's first day back to work after 7+ weeks off from an injury. It has been wonderful to have him home. He'll tell you I pretty much kicked him out the door and said 'You're going back.' Which is true. I felt ready. We've been married 5+ years and never have we seen each other as much as we have in the last 7+ weeks. So I am a bit ready to get back to the routine of 'real life' schedules and enjoy a little bit of my alone time that I've been seriously without for these last weeks.
About an hour ago or so (D's been at work for a bunch of hours now), I felt alone. Not in the 'phew - finally got my alone time' kind of way, but more in the 'wow - he's back to work and I'm back to being solo again for much of the day.' Don't get me wrong, I LOVE and am CRAZY about my toddlers. They just can't carry a conversation.
These last few weeks have been a blessing. We've had a lot of time to talk and drive each other slightly crazy. We had the time to do a quick road trip together. Parent together. Get on the same page of life. And enjoy some really wonderful times with our kids with out the rush of needing to be somewhere.
I'm thankful he is healed. I'm thankful he is returning to work, for a lot of reasons.
But I am also feeling just a little alone right now. And praying that the Lord with watch over my husband as he returns to the work of being a cop. A job that requires the strength, bravery, and wisdom that my husband has. . . and then asks for more from him. I'm praying for the Lord to watch over our marriage as we return to his crazy hours and crazy court hours. The irregular trying to blend with a regular schedule for the girls and myself. And I am praising the Lord for granting us some special moments in the last weeks and thanking him for being with us always. Thank you for our health and our home. And our crazy, wonderful (not asleep yet playing like crazy monkeys in their beds) children.

No comments:

Post a Comment